Home / Errors while Building ORE on linux

Home Forums General Errors while Building ORE on linux

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am trying to build ORE on linux and facing issues.
    I have downloaded and installed boost as instructed.
    my boost tar ball is unzipped to dir /home/ore-engine/boost/boost_1_62_0
    ran the bootstrap with following prefix –>./bootstrap.sh –prefix=/home/ore-engine/boost/install
    set BOOST env var to /home/ore-engine/boost/install
    all header files are located here –>/home/ore-engine/boost/install/include/boost
    all libs are located here –>/home/ec2-user/ore-engine/boost/install/lib

when i run ./configure –with-boost-include=$BOOST –with-boost-lib=$BOOST/lib
    i get the following error.

checking for Boost development files… no
    configure: error: Boost development files not found

should the boost var point to the dir where the tarball was unzipped? or the dir where headers and libs were installed?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Awarude,

I assume you have built QuantLib already and are getting this problem with OREData or Analytics.

If you have $BOOST pointing to your boost directory, you can just run “./configure”, you don’t need the –with flags. By the boost directory I mean where you downloaded and built boost, so we assume that the headers are in $BOOST/boost and the libs are in $BOOST/stage/lib, I don’t think this will work with your setup here as you have specified specific install directories for boost.

You can see this in the configure.ac script.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is –with-boost-include=/home/ore-engine/boost/install/include and –with-boost-lib=/home/ec2-user/ore-engine/boost/install/lib like you did for QL.

Regards,
    Niall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was able to build it successfully and run the examples on a unix box.
    After successful build my ORE dir is at 9.2Gb, now I need to make this build artifact portable
    I have delete the .a and .o files and got it down to about 1.3Gb, but that is still very big.
    do u have documented steps of how to make the linux executable portable, so its small in size like the windows zip file.
    basically i need to be able to run this linux executable on a box on which ORE was not built.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Niall,
    I was able to build it successfully and run the examples on a unix box.
    After successful build my ORE dir is at 9.2Gb, now I need to make this build artifact portable
    I have delete the .a and .o files and got it down to about 1.3Gb, but that is still very big.
    Is there any documentation on how to package the linux executable and make it portable, so its small in size like self sufficient windows zip file.
    basically i need to be able to run this linux executable on a box on which ORE was not built.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Awarude,

Great that it’s built and running for you now.

The ORE dir will be big as by default we build all of boost and QL, and there are a number of small sub-libraries that we also don’t need.

If you want to have a portable build of the ore executable on linux, rather than stripping down the build directory, you should just extract the bits you need. I suggest you try to build a static version of ore executable (by default the unix builds use dynamic libraries). On my Mac, my ORE dir is 4.2GB, but when I build a static ore exe it’s only 24MB (you will need the input files of course)

To do this just manually link the ore object (ore.o) in App with all the required (static) libraries: QL, ORED, OREA and whatever boost ones are needed (there are 3 or 4 of them, have a look in App/Makefile.am), then see if that is small enough for you. Then there are tools for stripping the exe down further if you research it on the net.

Does that help? what exactly are you trying to do here? ORE was never designed to be particularly small, I’m not sure if it’s suited for a constrained device, Pi or something like that.

Regards,
    Niall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Nail,
    quick q before i take this route,
    is it possible for you to give us a linux executable(zipped) just like you have one for windows 32 and 64 bit?
    Regards,
    Anand

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Awarude,

No, sorry, I’m on a Mac here, and even with linux you have to watch out for the libc versions and stuff like that, i.e. it depends on what flavour you are running.

Regards,
    Niall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

got it.
    i will start the new build process to create a lean build.
    I want to be able to put the ORE executable inside a docker container, so the smaller it is the better for me in terms of portability.
    We plan to invoke the the executable from java program running inside the same docker container.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have one up here already, not sure if that helps
    https://hub.docker.com/u/opensourcerisk/

Regards,
    Niall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

great, let me try to pull the image and run it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.